- ISBN 9780486224275 / 0486224279
- Title Yekl and the Imported Bridegroom and Other Stories of the New York Ghetto
- Author Abraham Cahan
- Category Modern & Contemporary Fiction (post C 1945)
- Format Paperback
- Year 1970
- Pages 240
- Publisher Dover Publications
- Imprint Dover Publications Inc.
- Language English
- Dimensions 138mm x 14mm x 215mm
“Yekl” (1896), the first novel upon which the much acclaimed film “Hester Street” was based, was probably the first novel in English that had a New York East Side immigrant as its hero. Reviewing it, William Dean Howells hailed Cahan as “a new star of realism.”
Seth Lipsky is the founding editor of the Forward, the English-language successor to the Jewish Daily Forward. He edited the newspaper for ten years and is now a contributing editor of "The Wall Street Journal. He lives in Brooklyn.