- ISBN 9781606087015 / 1606087010
- Title Life After Suffering
- Author Chris Williams
- Category Religion: General
- Format Paperback
- Year 2011
- Pages 151
- Publisher Wipf & Stock Publishers
- Imprint Wipf & Stock Publishers
- Language English
- Dimensions 155mm x 226mm x 10mm
Viktor Frankl, an Auschwitz survivor, once said that to be human is to suffer. Suffering is an unavoidable part of life, but how do we engage our suffering in a culture that teaches us to avoid suffering at all costs? Through the telling of two stories, the horrific death of his parents and the exiled Judeans of the sixth century BCE, Chris Williams offers a way of engaging suffering that questions the dominant voices of popular culture. Perhaps hope is not found in avoiding suffering at all costs, but by inviting others into our darkest moments.
Chris Williams is professor of history at Swansea University.