- ISBN 9780393317749 / 0393317749
- Title Those Tremendous Mountains: The Story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
- Author David Freeman Hawke
- Category History
- Format Paperback
- Year 2003
- Pages 288
- Publisher W. W. Norton & Company
- Imprint Norton
- Language English
- Dimensions 136mm x 19mm x 205mm
In 1804, when Lewis and Clark set off to explore the new lands of the Louisiana Purchase, they were unprepared for the awesome geography of the Rocky Mountains. Author David Hawke includes excerpts from Lewis and Clark's journals to place their scientific achievements in context, in a riveting account of their dramatic journey. 43 period illustrations, including drawings made by Clark. Photos.
“AN EXHILARATING STORY of bravery, self-discipline, and firm resolve, and Mr. Hawke tells it uncommonly well.”—The New Yorker
"Fast-paced narrative.... [A] fine, well-written introductory account."—
David Freeman Hawke is also the author of Paine.