- ISBN 9781930972285 / 1930972288
- Title A Life Worthy of the Gods: The Materialist Psychology of Epicurus
- Author David Konstan
- Category Western Philosophy: Ancient, To C 500
- Format Paperback
- Year 2008
- Pages 176
- Publisher Parmenides Publishing
- Language English
- Dimensions 152mm x 20mm x 226mm
Epicurus, and his Roman disciple Lucretius, held that the primary cause of human unhappiness was an irrational fear of death. This book shows how such fears arose, according to the Epicureans, and why they persist even in modern societies. It offers a close examination of the basic principles of Epicurean psychology.
David Konstan is a professor in the Department of Classics and Comparative Literature at Brown University.