- ISBN 9780486425511 / 0486425517
- Title The Metaphysical Foundations of Modern Science
- Author Edwin A. Burtt
- Category Science: General Issues
- Format Paperback
- Year 2003
- Pages 352
- Publisher Dover Publications
- Imprint Dover Publications Inc.
- Language English
- Dimensions 137mm x 19mm x 218mm
Originally published: The metaphysical foundations of modern physical science. 2nd, rev. ed. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1954.
This classic in the philosophy of science describes and analyzes the profound change from the philosophy of the Middle Ages to the modern view of humanity's less central place in the universe. It offers a fascinating analysis of the works of Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Descartes, Hobbes, Gilbert, Boyle, and Newton.
Burtt was a professor at the Sage School of Philosophy at Cornell University.