- ISBN 9781427071071 / 1427071071
- Title The Tides of Barnegat
- Author Francis Hopkinson Smith
- Category Modern & Contemporary Fiction (post C 1945)
- Format EasyRead Large Edition
- Year 2008
- Pages 456
- Publisher ReadHowYouWant.com Ltd
- Imprint ReadHowYouWant.com Ltd
- Dimensions 197mm x 254mm
The Tides of Barnegat (1906) is a seashore romance by Francis Hopkinson Smith that deals with divorce and family problems. Set in a small fishing community in New Jersey, the story concerns two sisters, Jane and Lucy Cobden. Jane, the elder, pledged long before on her father's deathbed to look after Lucy. After returning from boarding school in Philadelphia, Lucy behaves offensively, but Jane sacrifices everything to protect her. The final scene involves a tragic shipwreck.
An American author, story-teller, illustrator, and engineer, Francis Hopkinson Smith (1838Ð1915) was the descendant of Francis Hopkinson, a signatory to the Declaration of Independence. The foundation of the Statue of Liberty is amongst his greatest achievements as an engineer. Earning fame as an illustrator and painter, he started his literary career in his fifties and published the famous series of Colonel Carter novels.