- ISBN 9780618166756 / 0618166750
- Title A Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe
- Author Roger Tory Peterson and Guy Mountfort
- Category Wildlife: Birds & Birdwatching
- Format Paperback
- Year 2001
- Pages 512
- Publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)
- Edition 5th
- Language English
- Dimensions 120mm x 6mm x 185mm
With 364 range maps and 96 color plates portraying 548 species, this is the classic field guide to European birds. Covering 698 species, the descriptive text includes information on geographical races, vagrants, and introduced species. Confusing species such as waders, raptors, and warblers have additional notes on how to distinguish them.
Roger Tory Peterson, one of the world's greatest naturalists, received every major award for ornithology, natural science, and conservation as well as numerous honorary degrees, medals, and citations, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The Peterson Identification System has been called the greatest invention since binoculars. These editions include updated material by Michael O'Brien, Paul Lehman, Bill Thompson III, Michael DiGiorgio, Larry Rosche, and Jeffrey A. Gordon.