Authors Ryan Walter
and Mike Johnston draw on their NHL coaching experience to pack “Hockey Plays and Strategies” full of offensive, defensive, and special play systems proven to succeed in the fast-paced and agile style of hockey played today. Don't get caught chasing the puck. Rely on “Hockey Plays and Strategies” to put you in line for the win!
Carve out a spot on your bench, and in your library, for hockey's most comprehensive playbook.
“Hockey Plays and Strategies” presents all of the popular offensive, defensive, and special teams systems used in today's game, as well as tactical advice on making in-game adjustments and player match-ups at every level of play.
Veteran coaches Ryan Walter
and Mike Johnston share more than 160 plays, systems, and strategies to control the ice and light up the net. In this one-of-a-kind guide, you'll learn these skills:
- Puck movement within the neutral zone to set up for attack zone entry and scoring chances on the rush
- Capitalizing on all odd-man rush scoring chances and shutting down the opposition's opportunities
- Executing lock-down defensive play in all zones to eliminate good scoring chances and shots on goal
- More than 25 power play systems for both the one-man and two-man advantage to keep the defense off balance and produce more scoring chances
- Penalty kill strategies that will stymie any attack and routinely clear the zone
- Controlling the puck and breaking up the opposition's play with aggressive forechecking and backchecking strategies
- Controlling the game with top-notch game management tips on line pairings and changes, key momentum changers, and many more in-game adjustments to keep your opponents on their heels throughout the gameWhether you're an experienced coach or taking the coaching reigns for the first time, “Hockey Plays and Strategies” will guide smart, consistent, and winning play.
played more than 1,000 games over 15 seasons in the NHL. Drafted second overall by the Washington Capitals in 1978, Walter became the youngest NHL captain in his second of four seasons. He went on to play nine seasons with the Montreal Canadiens, winning a Stanley cup in 1986. Walter finished his NHL career by playing two seasons with his hometown Vancouver Canucks. Mike Johnston began his head coaching career at Carmrose Lutheran College in 1982. Johnston guided Canada to two World Junior Championships as an assistant coach and won three Spengler Cup gold medals as Coach of the Team Canada Selects. He served in various capacities with Canada's National Team from 1994 - 1999.