- ISBN 9781441925473 / 1441925473
- Title Quantum Theory of Conducting Matter
- Author Shigeji Fujita and Keiichi R. Ito
- Category Quantum Physics (quantum Mechanics & Quantum Field Theory)
Electricity, Electromagnetism & Magnetism
- Format Paperback
- Year 2010
- Pages 264
- Publisher Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Imprint Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Edition 1st
- Language English
- Dimensions 156mm x 234mm x 14mm
In a complex field, this work is a first. The authors make an important connection between the conduction electrons and the Fermi surface in an elementary manner in the text. No currently available text explains this connection. They do this by deriving Newtonian equations of motion for the Bloch electron and diagonalizing the inverse mass (symmetric) tensor. The authors plan to follow up this book with a second, more advanced book on superconductivity and the Quantum Hall Effect.
Shigeji Fujita is Professor of Physics at State University of New York at Buffalo and has published 3 books with the Springer family since 1996. His areas of expertise include statistical physics, solid and liquid state physics, superconductivity and Quantum Hall Effect theory. Kei Ito is also a Professor of Physics at the State University of New York at Buffalo, while on leave from the National Center for University Entrance Examinations in Tokyo, Japan.