- ISBN 9781108005159 / 1108005152
- Title Summary of the History and Development of Medieval and Modern European Music
- Author Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry
- Category Medieval & Renaissance Music (c 1000 To C 1600)
- Format Paperback
- Year 2009
- Pages 128
- Publisher Cambridge University Press
- Imprint Cambridge University Press
- Language English
- Dimensions 216mm x 140mm x 216mm
The English composer C. Hubert H. Parry published a historic overview of European music for music students in 1893.
In 1893, the English composer and director of the Royal College of Music C. Hubert H. Parry published Summary of the Development of Medieval and Modern European Music, an overview of European music from the middle ages to the work of Schubert and Brahms. Intended for music students, the book summarises the major composers, their work and the social circumstances that surrounded the creation of their music. This ambitious book is divided into 12 chronological chapters, from the troubadours and plainsong, through Bach and Handel to the rise of the symphony, Mozart, and the emergence of music as an expression of nationalism. In the book's first part, Parry deftly puts music in historical context, discussing England's Wars of the Roses, and the Reformation in relation to the changing styles throughout the sixteenth century; he then explores the music of the Restoration and the rise of opera.