* Manufactured by Darling Model Kits, this custom kit was designed by T.W.Graham Solomons.
* The kit consists of Darling's basic Molecular Vision kit with a few additional pieces, so that p orbitals could be shown in molecules like acetylene.
* This customized kit also has pieces that allow linear geometry for the sigma bonds of alkynes while also having orthogonal connections at each atom for the associated p orbitals.
* By attaching balls of the right colors it is possible to show the lobes of the p orbitals that make up the pi bonds in an alkyne.
* Ball colors can be matched symmetrically to show in-phase orbital overlap, or antisymmetrically to show an antibonding state.
* Use of colored balls with the appropriate framework geometry is a very nice feature of the Darling model set.
* Pieces from Darling's inorganic model set and are used for octahedral geometry.
John Wiley and Sons Ltd
John Wiley & Sons Inc
Place of Publication
Country of Publication
9781118234174, 9781118234198, 9781118555811, 9781118615270, 9781118641439, 9780730311157
T.W. Graham Solomons
University of South Florida